Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Sticky Door

In the last year I have had one door in our house that has given me and my DH (dear husband) daily challenges. The door to my DS's (dear son's) room has always been a little noisy with the door handle but combine that with new paint and a swamp cooler and we had all kinds of sticking. Trying to escape his room with minimal noise was not really an option.
My DH had tried several things to try and minimize my escape theatrics. The things he tried were WD-40, shaving down some of the door to knock off paint and minimize thickness, and baby powder. I tried a bar of soap, cooking spray, and cooking oil on a paper towel. Out of these the bar of soap was the best but it  failed as well over a short period of time. I thought I was doomed to a little routine of put my hand on the nob, grip tightly, turn the nob, before opening the door pull it towards the nob side of the frame, then slowly open and wait for the pop, look at DS and see if he wakes up from the noise and then if no try to escape. And don't forget to do this all hunched over behind his crib and with the blanket draped over one end so he can see less. If this was what I had to do fine, at least I knew what to do. 

One day I was putting things back in the rooms and places they should be. Stuff, objects seem to grow legs and walk all on their own, unassisted from all areas of the house at times. I was putting some vaseline back to the bathroom it belonged and I had a tiny hint of an idea... I wonder if that would work on DS's sticky door. I figured why not, can't hurt right? That was the ticket. I rubbed that stuff all over the door and the door jam. I was careful to go sparingly on the side of the door where the nob was since you sometimes grab the door and not just the handle.

So if you ever have a sticky something, vaseline might be just what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment