Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Random Act of Kindness

This morning after walking into the lobby of where I work I get to the bank of elevators and there is a man holding the elevator for me. What a pleasant surprise it was to have a stranger do something so simple but yet very appreciated.

I usually try to be cautious of these kinds of small acts and do them for others. I even had the opportunity to offer to help an older woman that pulled up to the air pump that I was using yesterday morning. I feel bad because I was a little put out that she was even pulling up next to my car, and can't she see that she is almost in my way?

Once I was done the woman got out of her car and politely asked if it was working. I told her that it seemed to be on a few of my tires but it didn't seem to have much air pressure now. Maybe if I give it a rest it will recharge and have more for her. As she was trying to fill up her tire I looked down and WOW her tire was LOW... One small bump and it was actually a flat tire. She said might as well give it a try and if it doesn't work oh well there isn't much air to let out. She had a great attitude and I offered to hold the hose on her tire for her. She said no thank you hun, very nice of you to offer.

Next time I see the opportunity to help, I hope I will jump in with no reservations or  pessimistic attitude. The man holding the elevator this morning reminded me of why I do these kinds of small things, it makes me feel good. I have resolved to do better. The most simple and smallest acts can really make the biggest difference in someones day.

Waking up each morning and trying to be a better person most every day is one of the way's I keep 'IT' together.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. Doing something for someone else probably makes me feel better than it does them.

    ReplyDelete